Tuesday, December 20, 2011

My Thoughts on Mary, Joseph and Jesus.

As Christmas approaches and I ponder on the lives of Mary and Joseph.  What it must have been like to go through all they did and how it impacts us today.

My first thought is the event of an angel of God appearing not only to Mary but also to Joseph.  I try to imagine what that must have been like and how they must have been in fear and awe of the majesty.  I wonder how would I react if an angel of God appeared before me, then I hear the gentle whisper.  The gentle whisper from God reminding me, "I do still send angels".  He sends angels that look like you and me.  Angels that come into our lives at different times for different reasons that many times only God knows.  My first thought is the many times people have been delayed by someone (an angel) and in being delayed was spared from a car accident, a house fire, a crime.  Or maybe it's the stranger that shows us a random act of kindness when we are having a bad day and God knows we need to feel His love.  God has His angels at work all around us. 

My second thought about Mary and Joseph's story is the fact they had to stay in a stable.  Mary had to give birth to the Son of God in a stable filled with animals.  I wonder, did they want to tell people the child she was having was THE Son of God? Would people believe them, would it have made a difference in where they were able to stay?  Would the people in the town have treated them differently?  In a world that is now all about who you are or who you know it is hard to comprehend the most important person to be born on this earth was treated to a stable for His birth.  I think about that and again the gentle whisper of God says, "it had to be that way, it had to be a humble experience". He's right, it's not about the prestige, the fame; no it is about the Son of God coming to earth so that we could be forgiven of our sins and spend eternity in Heaven. A reminder to humble ourselves before the Almighty King and ask for forgiveness, grace, mercy and wisdom. 

Another thought that keeps running through my mind, what were Mary and Joseph thinking as they kissed the face of Jesus.  The song "Mary Did You Know" makes me think of that every time I hear it.  Did they think about kissing the face of God or did they just look at Jesus as the beautiful baby He was.  What was it like to raise the Son of God?  I, of course, will never know the answers to these questions but I do know that precious baby born over 2000 years ago was my Savior!  He was my Prince of Peace! He is the reason I know without a doubt I will spend eternity in Heaven singing praises!  Oh how blessed I am! 

Holy Father~thank you does not seem enough for the amazing gift you gave to us so many years ago.  Thank does not seem enough for the sacrifice made just for me to have forgiveness and eternal life.  Thank you Mary and Joseph for following God and raising the precious Savior!  Thank you Heavenly Father for all you have provided for me.  In Jesus precious and holy name! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment