Friday, January 13, 2012

Am I listening???

Phil 4:6  "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." 

I have been dealing with anxiety for while now, some days are better than others but it has been a constant "invisible" tag-along.  I've looked up scripture about it, read books about it, talked about it and prayed about it.  The past few months I have had a very heavy heart and felt as though I need to change some things in my life.  I have felt like God is wanting me to make some changes but never could figure out what it was He wanted.  I mentioned in an email to a friend I had been in prayer about what God wanted for me and as I typed those words I realized the problem wasn't that God wasn't answering my prayers~I wasn't stopping long enough to listen for His answer!  Since then I have been trying to make myself be still and listen for God's answer.  Well as a working mother and wife my "still" time is not always very long.  This morning as I prayed in the shower God helped me realize my prayers were mostly focused inward on myself.  I'm not saying I am not supposed to pray for myself, I definitely am, but God showed me as I pray  for others my anxiety level goes down.  The more I lifted others to God in prayer the focus was no longer on my and my struggles.  I felt my heart, mind and body become less tense.  I finally felt a little of that heavy heart lifting.  I finally listened for God and as expected He was there the whole time.  I'm still waiting to hear what God wants for me as far as my priorities with family, church, friends, work, etc, but I know He is there and He will answer when He is ready and when He thinks I am ready.  I have laid it at His feet and now I must leave it there and wait with great anticipation for God's guidance.

Lord God, I pray Father You will forgive me for not listening.  I ask Lord for forgiveness keeping myself too busy to hear You and not relying on Your guidance but resorting back to my own ways.  Lord I pray You will continue to remind me to "Be Still....and know You are God" Psalm 46:10.  Amen





No comments:

Post a Comment