Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Fake Fries

Saturday mornings are "mama's TV time".  The one day of the week I get the TV remote all to myself!  Needless to say this is something I look forward to all week long.  Shows of my choice?? Ree Drummond's "The Pioneer Woman" and then I change over to Bobby Dean's "Not my Mama's Meals" and whatever else I can manage to sneak into this time. 

This past week my son was at home and had to endure the shows with me.  As we watch Bobby Dean make fries out of parsnips and butternut squash my son said they looked good!  What??  I looked and asked "Do you want to try them?".  To my delight he said yes.  Oh and I forgot to mention we are trying to stay away from rice, pasta and POTATOES!  So I decided that would be on the menu for the week, Hamburger Steaks and Fake Fries!

Well on Monday we tried the Fake Fries and they were GREAT!!! I even added an extra veggie into the mix.  Our Fake Fries were made of butternut squash, parsnips and carrots.  Everyone seemed to like them so they will appear again on our menu.   I'm just thankful they went over better than my quinoa recipes, I'm still the only one in the house that likes that stuff. Oh well at least they are eating! 





Fake Fries  (adapted from Bobby Dean's "Not my Mama's Meals on The Cooking Channel)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Peal top halve of Butternut Squash and cut into fry shapes.
Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray place squash in a single layer.
Spray the squash with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Start baking squash for about 5 minutes.
Peal and slice parsnips and carrots into fry shapes.
Add parsnips and carrots to squash. (you can use a different sheet if you want, I used the same one b/c it was big enough)
Continue baking all veggies until crispy.  Approx. 40-45 minutes.
Enjoy!   They turn out very sweet and so good!



No comments:

Post a Comment